The Operations Director is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations for assigned retail property. Oversee overall maintenance and implement preventive maintenance programs to maximize the owners’ financial return and for the benefit of the tenants, customers, and communities in which the asset is located.
- Primary responsibility is to coordinate the operational activities of the assigned center(s), including the day-to-day activities of maintenance and repair, risk management, development and implementation of operational standards and specifications, tenant coordination / construction, service contracts of the retail properties.
- Implements preventative maintenance programs to enhance the value and profitability of the center and effective cost control. Identifies problem areas and proactively works to improve the processes to maximize work performed.
- Integral in implementing annual operating budgets, capital expenditures, and execute plan within guidelines. Financial responsibility for assigned center(s) to control CAM costs within the approved budget and for budgeting and improving net income beyond approved budget.
- Maintains communication with tenants and employees to improve the success of the property.
- Promotes effective business relationships to convey company operational policies.
- Ensures tenant compliance with lease requirements including tenant/landlord responsibility for repairs and maintenance, hours of operation and care of premises.
- Ensures compliance with AIA, Building Codes and OSHA standards/policies and regulatory guidelines. Ensures a safe working environment for employees and takes corrective action, as needed.
- Contracts with outside vendors, including obtaining RFPs or bids, drafting contracts for approval and coding bills for processing. Monitors contractor performance. Approves payables.
Essential Job Function
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of properties including all phases of maintenance of the common areas to include buildings, grounds, and the direct supervision of outside contractors to ensure properties are properly maintained in accordance with company standards and maintenance agreements.
- Identifies property maintenance requirements of the common area, solicits and reviews bids from contractors.
- Responsible for hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, and disciplining the maintenance staff.
- Supervise all tenant and landlord construction projects. Serve as the primary liaison, coordinate relationships between mall team, merchants, contractors, architects, inspector and local agencies and officials. Seek ways to enhance the value of the center.
- Maintain basic knowledge of local building codes, permit processes and current environmental issues, as related to the center.
- Conduct pre-construction and subsequent follow-up meetings with tenant contractor to regulate compliance with Rules and Regulations, specific lease requirements and timely completion of construction, as stipulated by Tenant coordination.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance activities.
- Must be able to read basic blueprints.
- Developed understanding of corporate standards for shopping centers with an ability to achieve those standards.
- Demonstrated leadership and management ability.
- Team building skills; organizational and staff development skills. Strong supervisory skills
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to interact with tenants, vendors, and other employees.
- Ability to relay technical concerns with adequate detail, quickly and accurately.
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to organize work, engage in a variety of tasks simultaneously and consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out complex instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- A bachelor’s degree or 5+ years relevant experience.
- Extensive knowledge of property operations, facilities, and construction preferred.
- 3 years’ experience in a management role in a fast-paced work environment preferred.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and maintain driver’s license and be insurable.
- This position is not remote and expected to be on-site.